Welcome

New on the blog?? Welcome to Black Velvet Shoes!

This is just a place for me to be a bit creative - Mother is an avid fan of blogging and has tried to get me to blog for ages, so here goes :-) - expect rants, raves, reviews... experience the opinions and reflections that is Black Velvet Shoes, or namely, me! (That last line sounds like an ad, I know :-))

Why the odd title, you say?? Well, it took me AGES to think of something to title my blog and anything I typed looked either corny or totally weird. This is the name I settled on. I really like shoes (unfortunately wearing them is another matter) and I have this pair that I'm training myself to wear - yes, that last expression makes me sound like I have training wheels, but seriously, one cannot simply step into a pair of six-inch heels and walk like a model :-) - and they are, of course, black velvet!! So in essence, the name is a wish...

Anyhow, enjoy, laugh, be "OK, that's weird..." - this is *drumroll* Black Velvet Shoes!!

Charlotte T.

Monday, May 14, 2012

One of the best things about growing up is...

You can go to the movies with your friends!!

Yes, people - this is the post I've hinted at earlier. *drumroll*

The Avengers. My latest fav.

Now, in the past, it was VERY rare to be able to see a movie - thanks to all those wonderful directors who think that no movie is complete without swearing and *ahem* scenes. However, there seems to be a slight trend towards more action, less swearing and no scenes - yay!! National Treasure, just to name one, is an example of this trend. A thoroughly enjoyable movie, it was, along with the second one.

Back to my original train of thought... Up until recently, I hadn't seen a movie in the cinema for at least 4 years. There either wasn't anything suitable on or Dad took the boys for Father Son night - which meant I couldn't come :-P. Then Cars 2 came out. Dad took me!!! Tintin came out. Dad took the entire family - that was epic. We filled an entire row at the cinema! Then we all saw Star Wars 1 in 3D. Jed looks so cute in 3D glasses!! Then...

I'm signed up to these Disney Movie Rewards thing and they sent me a trailer for the Avengers. I was hooked. Having seen Thor (another epic movie - we love Marvel) and Captain America (not so epic but still good), I had to see this. Fortunately, my friend Jess wanted to see it too. So we went together, by ourselves for the first time, to the movies in 2D.

(Sorry about all the background story. It's kind of relevant though :-) I know this all sounds like I'm obsessed, but trust me, I'm not. Just simply pleased at being able to enjoy a good movie without blocking ears, fastforwarding or hiding behind pillows.)

People, we were not disappointed. The cinema was packed. Company (not my friend. She was the best part :-)) was questionable but hey, it'a a movie. Get past all the annoying/scary/ewww trailers, the lights go down... the thrill. We take pleasure in the simplest of things. Everyone else was like "Finally. How long is this going to take?", while we were "So excited! So privileged!".

Then - 2 hours and 22 minutes of absolute action, fun and excellent plot. Long story cut short, all the latest Marvel superheros - Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, Captain America, Hulk, Nick Fury & Barton - get together to save to world from Loki, Thor's half-brother. Now, HE'S rude, Loki. Nasty old thing. And as usual, Manhattan gets trashed. Why is it always America and New York that gets destroyed? The amount of times that city has been repaired...

Of course everyone survives - wouldn't have it any other way. And there's going to be a sequel!!!!

Now for the review...

9.5/10. A completely enjoyable movie. I only picked up about one, maybe two bad words. Go and see it, if you haven't already. See it twice - I did!! Miracle of miracles - Dad and Budd wanted to see it after I came home with a huge smile plastered on my face. Saw it in 3D with them. It's better in 2D, but that's your choice. I NEVER see movies twice, so there's the proof - it's good!

Now, downers - it is M for a reason. Action violence is the official rating and they're actually right this time. I really wouldn't let young ones see this - at home perhaps on DVD when you can skip the particularly fast-paced parts but otherwise... no. By young ones I mean immature in mind. My 10 year old sister could see this at home with my hands on the remote but no younger. Also, remember the Emperor's manipulating Anakin in SWIII? Loki does almost the same thing. Not so nice.

I enjoyed this movie (as if it isn't obvious :-)). Will be getting it on DVD. Enjoy!

Charlotte T.

P.S. Sorry for all the raving. I don't normally blog, but when I do I can't stop! To bring us all back to Earth, this is just a movie. A very good one, but a movie. Never forget that God is infinitely more awesome!! I thank Him for the ability to see this with friends and family. I thank Him for the privilege to go out in freedom with my friend. I thank Him for being a million times more awesome than Iron Man and Thor (my favourites). He is God, and the best God He could be. Sometimes, I get scared thinking about heaven and what it will be like to just be, just exist. He knows my fears. He comforts me. My little human mind cannot comprehend heaven, so I'll rest in the fact that it will be wonderful to be with Him always. I'm sure you'll agree.

Charlotte T.

No comments:

Post a Comment