Welcome

New on the blog?? Welcome to Black Velvet Shoes!

This is just a place for me to be a bit creative - Mother is an avid fan of blogging and has tried to get me to blog for ages, so here goes :-) - expect rants, raves, reviews... experience the opinions and reflections that is Black Velvet Shoes, or namely, me! (That last line sounds like an ad, I know :-))

Why the odd title, you say?? Well, it took me AGES to think of something to title my blog and anything I typed looked either corny or totally weird. This is the name I settled on. I really like shoes (unfortunately wearing them is another matter) and I have this pair that I'm training myself to wear - yes, that last expression makes me sound like I have training wheels, but seriously, one cannot simply step into a pair of six-inch heels and walk like a model :-) - and they are, of course, black velvet!! So in essence, the name is a wish...

Anyhow, enjoy, laugh, be "OK, that's weird..." - this is *drumroll* Black Velvet Shoes!!

Charlotte T.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Sense and Sensibility - Review

I promised an review and here it is!!

Sense and Sensibility (2008)


Having seen clips of this on Youtube (and knowing that anything period drama produced by the BBC is eminently better than all others :-)) I found this on eBay for a good price and bought it (also my first eBay purchase. The parcel had my name on it!!)

We were NOT disappointed. This is an excellent production of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility! Relatively unknown actors - for us living out in the sticks of Australia anyway :-) - who did a marvellous job (the characters of Marianne and Brandon are much better than the 1995 movie - which I like too); the scenery - one can say no more. The screenplay is a lot better - probably because they had to expand it into the 3 hour epic it is. One part I was especially pleased with is that we finally know how Marianne and the Colonel get married. In the 1995 movie, Elinor is proposed to and next thing you know, there's a double wedding?!? On the whole, a truly well done, enjoyable production.

One warning for you all - fast-forward the first minute or so of the first episode. There's a bit of a scene with Brandon's ward and Willoughby (the scoundrel!). One point off for Andrew Davies - why was that necessary? Yes, it's background story - but my little sisters had to hide behind a pillow while I rummaged for the remote!! Not cool - Jane Austen herself would be scandalised. Shame!

But this is still a wonderful show. 4.5/5. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment